Monday, December 06, 2004

 

Zoloft "Caused" Boy to Murder Grandparents

Christopher Pittman, who turns 16 this April, is being prosecuted as an adult for the murder of his grandparents in November of 2001. His father, Joe Pittman, blames the SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) anti-depressant drug Zoloft, saying "his sense of right and wrong was clouded by the antidepressant."

Authorities say Pittman shot his grandparents to death as they slept because they had scolded him for fighting on the school bus.

"When I was lying in my bed that night, I couldn't sleep because my voice in my head kept echoing through my mind, telling me to kill them.


Yeah right. Something, or someone else is always to blame. Personal responsibility has become passee, kind of like treason.

Now to me, twelve years of age is old enough to know for certain that murder is a moral faux pas. At least I knew it at that age, as did my entire family. And if young Christopher didn't know it, regardless of what the voices in his head were saying, I'd have to say his parents screwed up royally with him. I mean, face it people, the purpose of parents, on a very basic level (as opposed to teachers, neighbors and friends) is to civilize their children. And part of that training should be that it's wrong to murder.

But, I guess I'm digressing a bit. There *have* been reports of people taking the similar drug Prozac also having suicidal tendencies. That's why it's so important to go to a competent doctor and to learn as much as you can about the pros and cons of these medecines. And if you're having strange thoughts, tell your parents or your doctor!

As it stands now, I say let the boy, and his parents go to jail.






|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?