Monday, November 29, 2004

 

A Tax on Cosmetic Surgery?

There's a proposal in the state of Illinois to tax elective cosmetic surgery procedures at a rate of six percent. Naturally, The American Society of Plasitc Surgeons in not happy.
This tax is distressing on many levels," said Scott Spear, M.D., president of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons. "The people of Illinois should be very concerned about what this tax may mean to their health in the future."

This is not the 'luxury tax' that Mr. Hynes would like the public to believe," said Dr. Spear. "Plastic surgery, as the statistics illustrate, has become more mainstream. It is not just an indulgence of celebrities and rich people. It is a reasonable option for anyone who wants to look or feel better about their appearance."


As I see it, the reason cosmetic surgery has become "mainstream" in Dr. Spear's words is because these doctors quite successflly make their living out of people (mostly women) feeling ugly. If more women were happy with themselves, Dr. Spear and his cohorts would no doubt be stuck removing hemmorhoids.

I am also reminded of an article I read a while back in Allure magazine where two plastic surgeons were asked about what procedures they would perform on Audrey Hepburn and Marilyn Monroe to improve them. The magazine then showed all the notations and marks these doctors made on the faces of these two beautiful women illustrating how they would "fix" them.

As I write this point, I'm also thinking of that reality show "The Swan." I have never watched that show since, as you may know, I'm no fan of reality tv. But I HAVE seen before and after photos of some of the women. And the fact is, they could have looked much much better by simply losing a few pounds, dressing better, getting better haircuts, shaping their eyebrows, and wearing flattering makeup.

Now there may be those of you who see nothing wrong with a little nip and tuck here and some silicone there, along with some lipo... if it makes a woman feel good about herself. But, if it's just a matter of a woman feeling good about herself, then why aren't there any female cosmetic surgeons. In every listing I've seen, either in Town and Country magazine or in New York Magazine's Best Doctors of New York roundup, I have yet to see the name of a female plastic surgeon. Also, going under the knife to me, is still a pretty drastic way of feeling better about oneself.

Personally, I don't think I'm unnatractive. But still, for the forseeable future, I don't see myself getting any cosmetic surgery unless I get drastically disfigured, due to an accident or an illness.


|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?