Wednesday, September 22, 2004

 

New York Magazine Article on "The Perfect Pregnancy"

The other day, I was browsing through a newstand when the cover story of the September 27th issue of "New York Magazine caught my eye. "The Perfect Pregnancy" profiles high-powered New York women who are obsessed with staying thin and sexy while pregnant.

Now I haven't been a subscriber to New York Magazine for a long time. But I was curious as to what this article would have to say about women who try to diet while pregnant. I've lived in Manhattan for over twenty years, but quite frankly, I can't believe that some women can be so vain. I mean, if they don't want their lives or figures to change, then why bother getting pregnant? So I decided to make my feelings known to the editor. Here's a copy of what I sent to New York Magazine:

I have not been a subscriber to New York Magazine forquite some time now. I can honestly say now that it's because of your magazine's focus on vain,high-powered, limousine liberal New Yorkers who do nothing but whine about the following:

The expense of living in Manhattan

How they have no choice but to suck up/jump throughhoops in order to get their kids into the "best"nurseries/private schools

How finding a good nanny who doesn't steal from you (when you were stupid enough to give her your bankcard and PIN) is so difficult

How it was possible that the New York police chief may have gone too far and perhaps (gasp!) violated the civil rights of the protesters at the Republican National Convention

With all that being said, the cover of your September 27th issue caught my eye. I was curious as to what your writer had to say about women who are obsessedwith staying thin and sexy during pregnancy (never mind being excited about bringing a new life into the world.) After reading the article, I just have this to say to all those women who say "I've waited until now to have this baby. I'm very accomplished, I'm fit, I go to the gym five times a week, and I really don't want this pregnancy to change my life."

Get over yourselves!!!

Everything in this life is not about you and how you'll look. Parenting is a challenging job. And the fact is, your life *will* change. After all, you are bringing a child into this world, who will be dependent on you to feed it, nurture it, clothe it, shelter it, and teach it right from wrong.

Yet it seems to me that these women view their soon to be born babies as nothing more than designer accessories that will fit in neatly with their lives and not get in the way of their five-day-a-week workouts and their careers.

Now I'm sure these very same women will go on about how "choice" is important -- that it's their bodies todo with as they please. All I can say is too bad these babies have no choice in the type of mothers they're getting stuck with.

I'm almost positive that "New York Magazine" won't print this letter. But it sure felt good writing it and sending to them anyway!







|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?